Welcome to French Food
Focus. The name describes the intent of this blog. I'll focus on food
and because I live in rural
Click Here to send me a comment
This is our village. Our house is the white one at the top right.
Mushroom Soup - Again
Yes I know I posted a mushroom soup recipe some time ago, but I must say that its one of my favorites. Simple, nourishing, cheap and delicious. It bears repeating I think. This is pretty much the same version, but this time I've done the recipe with pictures so anyone can easily follow along.
Here we go:
The 'mise en place' so to speak.
-Dried mushrooms ( Cèpes in this case) that have been soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
As to quantities, its up to you. Here I have a pound of mushrooms, probably 3 oz of dried mushrooms, one onion. Not shown is about a liter of stock, either chicken or vegetable. The amount of cream (I used 3/4 liter) to stock is up to you. The more cream the richer the soup (& the more calories) The butter is just enough to sauté the onions then sweat the mushrooms.
1) Chop up the onions & place them in your soup pot with the butter. Sauté gently until the onions are soft, but not browned.
2) While the onions are cooking chop up the mushrooms. Cut off the root end & cut them int quarters. (Having brushed them to clean beforehand)
3) When they are all cut up & the onions are soft add the mushrooms to the pot.
4) Let the mushrooms cook, stirring frequently, until they soften. DO NOT let them cook so much that they start to give off their water.
5) Add the dried mushrooms & cook some more with lots of stirring.
6) After no more than 5 minutes add the stock & the water from the soaked mushrooms.
7) Stir well & bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes then turn the heat down.
8) When the mixture has gone off the boil add the cream & the thyme. (I like to use a generous hand with the thyme)
9) Bring the soup back up to a simmer & let cook for a few minutes. Turn the heat down.
10) Puree the soup with an immersion blender or in a food processor.
That's it! I've broken the steps down, but really they're pretty easy & fast.
The mushroom soup is delicious & just the thing for a cold day. Given the recent weather in the states its an ideal dish. Enjoy!