FRENCH FOOD FOCUS
A celebration of life, food and cooking in rural France
Two New Dishes
I've been messing around again and have come up with two new dishes. One is my own invention and the other I got from the BBC's recipe website. Linda and I enjoyed them both yesterday evening for dinner. My recipe is a starter and the BBC's a main course. Here they are:
Dave's Little salad. (for two people)
Some rocket or other small leaved green lettuce
Four small ripe tomatoes (not cherry tomatoes)
About 2 oz. of salmon rillettes. (if you can't buy rillettes just cut up some raw salmon filet into small pieces.)
10 or so Anchovy filets, salted
Some lemon juice
Some olive oil
Salt & pepper
- Make a dressing by combining the olive oil, some lemon juice and some of the oil from the anchovies. Salt & pepper the dressing.
- Cut off the tops of the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds & pulp.
- Fill each tomato with the salmon rillettes.
- Dress the rocket lightly with the dressing.
- Arrange the rocket and the stuffed tomatoes on a plate.
- Drape an anchovy filet over each tomato and place more anchovy filets around the plate on top of the rocket.
That's it. Enjoy with some nice bread to soak up any juices.
BBC's Salmon Casserole with pasta & broccoli
Two nice salmon filets, deboned and skinned
125 g pasts (penne or fusilli or similar)
300g Broccoli, cut into medium sized florets
100g mascarpone (or use crème Frais)
8-10 sun dried tomatoes
2 tbsp. capers
10 anchovy fillets cut into small pieces
10 large basil leaves (used dried if necessary.
50g mature cheddar, finely grated.
-Using the butter, flour and milk make a medium thick roux.
- Boil up a large pan of water & put the pasta in to cook. After about 6 minutes add the broccoli
- Cut up the sun dried tomatoes into 3-4 pieces for each one.
- When finished drain the pasta & broccoli into a colander & drain well.
- Add the mascarpone to the roux and stir well.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes, the capers, the anchovies and the basil to the roux/ mascarpone mix
- Finally carefully mix in the pasta & broccoli.
- Arrange the salmon filets on the bottom of an oven proof casserole.
- Pour the roux mixture over the salmon filets, smooth and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake in a 190C oven for 30 minutes or until the mixture just starts to bubble and brown.
- Serve immediately.
Both dishes are great and compliment each other well. Idea for a Friday meal.